Here’s a look back at that era, and everything Lefty accomplished before he turned pro.
Phil Mickelson’s college career at Arizona state
Mickelson started his collegiate career with national titles in his freshman and sophomore years (1989 and 1990), becoming one of just seven players to earn back-to-back championships. Here is that full list:
- Dexter Cummings, Yale — 1923, 1924
- Fred Lamprecht, Tulane — 1924, 1926
- George Dunlap, Princeton — 1930, 1931
- Dick Crawford, Houston — 1959, 1960
- Ben Crenshaw, Texas — 1971, 1972, 1973
- Scott Simpson, USC — 1976, 1977
- Phil Mickelson, Arizona State — 1989, 1990
Crenshaw stands out on that list as the only player to have won three national titles in a row. He was also one of just two to win three total collegiate championships. The other? Phil Mickelson, who picked up his third as a senior in 1992 after shooting a 17-under at the Championship Course in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Leave a Reply